Professor Emeritus Murray J. Bryant, BComm, MComm, MA, PhD, CA
BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: Professor Emeritus Murray J. Bryant, BComm, MComm, MA, PhD, CA
Professor Dr. Murray J. Bryant was appointed as the Provost of New Westminster College on June 30, 2015, and serves concurrently as a Distinguished Fellow. He has a distinguished record of ethical leadership with more than 35 years of experience as a professor at top-tier business schools. On June 5, 2015, he was honoured by being appointed as Professor Emeritus of the Richard Ivey School of Business of Western University, where he also served as the Director of the MBA program. He previously served at the Joseph L. Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto, in several positions, including: Director of the Executive MBA program and Associate Dean of the MBA program. His research interests include: Cost Systems and Strategy, Cost Management, and Performance Evaluation in Healthcare, and he has professional teaching interest in Managerial Accounting.
Professor Dr. Murray J. Bryant earned his B.Comm. in 1971 from the University of Canterbury and his Chartered Account certification in 1972 from the New Zealand Society of Accountants. He earned his M.Comm. in 1975 from the University of Auckland. And in 1978, he earned his M.A. from Ohio State University. He earned his PhD in 1983 from the University of Cincinnati. His doctoral dissertation title was: “Auditor Judgment: Simulation and Information Search.”
Professor Dr. Bryant’s professional experience includes:
- 2015 to present: Provost, New Westminster College, Vancouver, British Columbia
- 2007 to present: Member of the Editorial Board, International Journal of Managerial and Financial Accounting (IJMFA)
- 2005 to present: Program Design Contributor, Schulich Medical School Faculty Development Programs
- 2004 to present: Visiting Professor, Rotterdam School of Management, The Netherlands
- 2003 to present: Visiting Professor, Reykjavik University, Iceland
- 1998-2015: Professor, Richard Ivey School of Business, Western University (University of Western Ontario), Toronto, Ontario
- 2013: Program Design Contributor, Schulich Medical School Faculty Development Programs
- 2013: Member of the Search Committee, Director of Public Health Program, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
- 2012-2013: Advisor, Distributed Medical Education, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
- 2010: 2012-2013: Advisor, Distributed Medical Education, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
- 2010: Visiting Professor, Monash University, Australia
- 2007-2009: Professor, Executive Programs, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
- 2004: Visiting Professor, Monash University, Australia
- 2001-2004: Director, MBA Program, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, , Toronto, Ontario
- 1999-2002: Director, Ivey Executive Program, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, , Toronto, Ontario
- 1998-2002: Director, Executive MBA Program, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, , Toronto, Ontario
- 1998-1999: Associate Director, Executive MBA Program, VEMBA
- 1996-98: Visiting Professor, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, Toronto, Ontario
- 1980-98: Professor, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 1991-1997: Director, Executive MBA Program, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 1991-1991: Academic Director, Metropolitan Police Executive Program, Faculty of Management, University of Toronto
- 1993-1995: Associate Dean, MBA Programs, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 1984-1986: Visiting Professor, International Management Institute, Switzerland
- 1971-74: Professor, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Professor Dr. Bryant’s board governance and consulting activities include:
- 2011-2012: Board of Advisors, Craig Manufacturing
- 2006-2011: Appointment by Order in Council, Government of Ontario: Board of Directors, Southwestern Region Local Health Integration Network
- 2007-2008: Opera Committee, Orchestra London, London, Ontario
- 2006-2008: Research Director, Blue Ribbon Commission on the Governance of Executive Compensation
- 2005-2007: Special Advisor, Ontario Air Ambulance Corporation
- 2004-2006: Ontario Air Ambulance Corporation
- 1994-1997: Domtar Leadership Seminars
- 1992-1996: Imperial Chemical Industries PLC
- 1994: Member, Task Force on Auto Parts Manufacturing, Industry and Science Canada
- 1992: Member, Task Force on Auto Parts Manufacturing, Industry and Science Canada
- 1990-1992: Canadian National Railways
- 1990-1992: Member, Board of Corporate Advisors, Lipton’s International Ltd.
- 1989-1992: Member, Board of Directors, Ontario Rugby Union
- 1990: Unum Corporation
- 1987-1989: I.C.A.O.
Professor Dr. Bryant’s academic honours and awards include:
- 2015 to present: Distinguished Fellow, New Westminster College
- 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011: Top 5% of Instructors, Richard Ivey School of Business, Western University (University of Western Ontario), Toronto, Ontario
- 2006 and 2007: The Dean Carol Stephenson Excellence in Teaching EMBA Award, Richard Ivey School of Business, Western University (University of Western Ontario), Toronto, Ontario
- 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006: Dean’s Commendation Letters for Teaching, Richard Ivey School of Business, Western University (University of Western Ontario), Toronto, Ontario
- 1998: Dean’s Commendation Letters for Teaching, , Richard Ivey School of Business, Western University (University of Western Ontario), Toronto, Ontario
- 1996: Winner, Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations (OCUFA) Teaching Award
- 1992: Finalist, International Accounting Case Writing Competition, University of Lethbridge
- 1992: Winner, Graduate Business Council MBA Teaching Award
- 1991: Winner, Graduate Business Council MBA Teaching Award
- 1991: Peggy Pratt Award for Services, Woodsworth College
- 1990: Winner, Graduate Business Council MBA Teaching Award
- 1989: Runner Up, Graduate Teaching Award, Faculty of Management, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 1988: Finalist, International Accounting Case Writing Competition, Graduate Business Council, Faculty of Management, University of Lethbridge
- 1982: Outstanding Teaching and Service Award
- 1981: Doctoral Candidate Award, Deloitte, Haskins and Sells
- 1980: Doctoral Consortium Fellow, American Accounting Association
- 1975: Miller Teaching Award, College of Administrative Science, Ohio State University
- 1975: Fulbright Hays Travel Grant, United States-New Zealand Educational Foundation
Professor Dr. Bryant ‘s publications include:
- Bryant, M. J. and Sharman, P., “Issues Paper in Activity Based Costing,” Society of Management Accountants, 1992.
- Bryant, M. J., Estrin, T., and Kantor, J. “Timing the Adoption of New Technology,” Journal of Small Business, September 1990.
- Bryant, M. J., “Tis the Season to Start Sampling,” CA Magazine, November 1989.
- Bryant, M. J. and D’Cruz, J. R., “New Zealand’s International Competitiveness: The 1986 E.M.F. Scorecard,” Director, April 1987.
- Bryant, M. J. and Mahaney, M. C., “The Politics of Standard Setting,” Management Accounting, March 1981.
- Thornton, D.B. and Bryant, M.J., GAAP vs. TAP in Lending Agreements: Canadian Evidence, CAAA, 1986.
- Bryant, M. and Sapp, S., ICD Blue Ribbon Commission on the Governance of Executive Compensation in Canada, ICD, June 2007.
- Article: Bryant, M. J. and Shank, J. K., “FASB 8: Questioning the Economic Impact,” The Accounting Forum, December 1977.
- Bryant, M. J. and S. Sapp, “Green Paper Report of the Institute of Corporate Directors Blue Ribbon Commission on the Governance of Executive Compensation, November 2006.
- Pepler e., and Bryant, M. J., Review of the Delivery System of Children and Youth Mental Health Services in SW Ontario (December 2009)
Chapters in Books:
- Murray J. Bryant, Ken Mark, “Schulich School of Medicine: Enhancing and Developing a High-Performance Culture,” (9B09M014) in Cases in Leadership, 3rd Edition, (Rowe, G and L. Guerrero) SAGE Publications, April 2012.
- Murray J. Bryant, “Solomon Business School: Implementing the New Strategy,” in Organization Theory & Design, (Daft, R. and A. Armstrong ed.), Nelson Education, 2008.
- Murray J. Bryant, Robert J. Fisher, and Pankaj Shandilya, “Boots: Hair-care Sales Promotion” (9B05A022), in Case Studies in Brand Management Vol. II (Icfai Center for Management Research (ICMR)), to be published April 2008.
- Murray J. Bryant, Stone Chen, “Weihai-Daewoo Electronics Co., Ltd.” (9B01B032), in Marketing: An Asian Perspective (Geok Theng Lau ed.), McGraw-Hill Education Asia, to be published May 2007.
- Bryant, M.J. and Pepler, E.F., “Systems Thinking: A Helicopter View,” in The Leadership Guide for Health Professionals, ed. Dr. T. Stewart and Dr. C. Mazza, 2006. Also wrote preface.
- Bryant, M. J. and Pepler, E.F., Management Issues in Health Care Delivery Canada and Evidence from Pioneers and Innovators, in Management in Einer Welt der Globalisiering und Diversitat (W. Auer-Rizzi, E Szabo ed C. Innreiter-Moser) Schaefler Roeschel, 2002
- Bryant, M. J. and Thornton, D. B., “Public Choice of Corporate Accounting Standards,” Modern Accounting Research: A Survey and Guide (R. V. Mattessich, ed.), Certified General Accountants’ Research Foundation, 1984.
- Bryant, M. J., “Standard Setting: An Examination,” Essays in Honour of Trevor Johnston (D. Emmanuel and I. C. Stewart, eds.), University of Auckland Press and New Zealand Society of Accountants, 1981.
- Bryant, M. J. and Pepler, 21st International Conference of the International Society for Quality in Health Care, Vancouver, “Cancer Delivery in Calgary and Wales.” 2004
- Invited guest to Innovations in Health Care, Calgary, May 2004
- Bryant, M.J., Pepler, E., 18th International Conference of the International Society for Quality in Health Care, Buenos Aires “Eye Cataract Surgery in Calgary Regional Health Authority”, 2001.
- Eyett, M., M. J. Bryant and W. Auer-Rizzi, “Developing a Unique Strategy in a Traditional Industry: The case of Voestalpine,” submitted to the Academy of Management Perspectives.
Case Studies for the Richard Ivey School of Business at Western University (University of Western Ontario):
- Landsbanki hf and NBI hf
- Landsbankinn hf
- Loblaw Companies: Analyzing an Annual Report 2012
- Patient Safety at Grand River Hospital and St. Mary’s General Hospital
- The Christchurch Earthquake and Crusaders Rugby (A), (B)
- Mahindra Satyam: Restoring Corporate Governance
- Royal Group Technologies
- Compagnie Financier Richemont S.A.
- ORNGE: Improving Service Levels
- Barrick Gold: Eliminating the Gold Hedging Strategy
- Note: An Overview on Risk and Risk Management
- Apollo Hospitals Entreprise Ltd., The Clinical Scorecard
- Finning International Inc: Management Systems in 2009
- MKII Building an American Watch Company
- Primary Care Reform in Ontario
- Schulich School of Medicine: Enhancing and Developing a High Performance Culture
- Schulich School of Medicine: Opportunities Through Alternative Career Models
- South West Ontario Digital Imaging Network
- Team 7
- Tom Baker Cancer Centre
- Deloitte on Livent
- British Petroleum plc and John Browne: The Culture of Risk Beyond Petroleum (A) (B)
- Note on Directors Duties and Obligations Under Canadian Law and Custom
- MacDonald Dettweiler and Associates (A) (B) (C)
- Doctor Tom Lacroix
- Kaupthing Bank hf Acquires Singer & Friedlander Group plc
- Macquarie Bank Limited: Executive Compensation
- Tom Baker cancer Center
- Neal & Massy: Evaluating Shareholder Value Added
- Johnson & Johnson: Analysing an Annual Report: 2006
- St. Michael’s Hospital: Board Governance
- Ivey Builds: The Second Act
- Solomon Business School: Implementing the New Strategy
- The Future of “Big Pharma”?
- Plagiarism in a Final Examination (A) and (B)
- Boots Hair Care Sales Promotion, in Case Studies in Brand Management, Vol. II (April 2008)
- Ivey Builds; The Second Act
- Bristol Meyers Squibb; Managing Shareholder Expectations
- Solomon Business School: Implementing the New Strategy
- St. Michael’s Hospital: Board Governance
- Mobitell (A): Mobile Communications in Russia
- Mobitell (B): Hedging Alternatives
- Mobitell (C): Accounting for the Swap Deal
- Voestalpine AG (A) (B)
- Arvind Mills
- Fernando Rego and the Fitter
- Tetchfield, Smith and Johanson, LLP
- “Electronic Child Health Network” in “Cases in Health Services Management, 4th Edition”, authored by Jonathan Rakich, and Kurt Darr.
- Mobitell (A), (B) and (C)
- Royal Bank of Canada: Subsidiary Governance Study
Toronto Symphony Orchestra
- Kaupthing Bank hf and JP Nordiska AB Acquisition (A) (B)
- Cloverdale Paint Incorporated
- Feng Farms (translated into Simplified and Traditional Chinese)
- The Royal Bank of Canada – Subsidiary Governance
- Xinyu’s First Year at Ivey (A), (B), (C)
- Note on the Impact of an Aging Population on the Ontario Health Care System
- Tsinghua Unisplendour Taihetong Environmentech Limited
- Weihai-Daewoo Electronics Co., Limited
- Phillips Services Limited
- CIBC: Customer Profitability System (A), (B), (C)
- Electronic Child Health Network
- Erehwon Community Hospital
- Geriatric Care Facility: City of Markham
- Healthy Connections
- Koffman Corporation
- St. Stephen’s Community Hospital
- Gamma-Dynacare Laboratories
- I.C.C. Cosmos Co., Limited
- Markham Stouffville Hospital
- Ontario Healthcare Industry Note
- Canmine Resources Corporation: The Maskwa Nickel Mine
- Cara Operations Ltd.
- Caribbean Internet Café* (published in Strategic Management: Concepts & Case Irwin,
A Thompson 11th Ed.)
- Cott Industries
- St. Catharines General Hospital
- * Best seller, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003
- Big City Courier
- Fosters Brewing Group
- Interest Exercise
- Bart’s Bank in England plc
- Bata CSFR: Negotiating the Return
- Bell Canada: The Current State of Telecommunications in Canada
- Busman Communications Inc.
- Breaking the Glass Ceiling: The Task Force on the Advancement of Women at the
- Bank of Montreal
- Fisher and Paykel Industries Limited (Journal of Accounting Case Research)
- Flemingdon Medical Laboratories Limited
- Forest Product Industry in Canada
- Four Seasons Hotels Inc: Facing the Nineties
- IBM Laboratories, The Future is Now
- Kookaburra Limited (published by McGraw-Hill, 1989)
- Mapleview Hospital (Journal of Accounting Case Research and finalist in the
- University of Lethbridge International Case Competition, 1992)
- Paints Canada
- Polyurethanes (Europe, Asia, Middle East)
- Precision Machining Limited
- St. Michaels Hospital
- Tops Manufacturing
- “The Second Act: I Never Met a Manufacturer with a Good One”
- Surgeons of Steel: Flawless Tool and Manufacturing Limited,” finalist, University of Lethbridge Accounting Case Writing Competition (includes videotape) with T. Estrin and J. Kantor, in Cases in Management Accounting (Advanced), Wiley & Sons, 1990. Adopted by The University of Western Ontario and employed by R. Radford and H. Noori in Cases and Readings in Managing Technology, Prentice-Hall, 1990.
- Worldwide Beer Industry
As Provost and Distinguished Fellow of New Westminster College, Professor Emeritus Dr. Murray J. Bryant is dedicated to supporting the highest standards of academic excellence and is committed to the advancement of New Westminster College and its Global Network of Fellows.